Thursday, August 21, 2008

Profound, Mundane : Hamlet, Poopy Diapers

On facebook you can add an application called Pieces of Flair, originating from the movie Office Space. One of the pieces (buttons) that I chose to stick on my fair board says

We're adults. When did this happen? And how do we make it stop?

The fleetingness of life - are we like grass. I have had this thought recently, mainly when realizing that I am a mom. I know it sounds silly to keep having to realize this, but it's profound to become something like a mother and yet so ordinary, so usual and common. So the time passing but also the becoming, the life changing...

It reminds me of the beginning of Hamlet when Hamlet's mother wonders why Hamlet is so distraught at his father's dying. Pardon the quote:

Thou know’st ’tis common; all that live must die,
Passing through nature to eternity.

Ay, madam, it is common.

If it be,
Why seems it so particular with thee?

Seems, madam! Nay, it is; I know not ‘seems.’

And his 'new father' adds:

’Tis sweet and commendable in your nature, Hamlet,
To give these mourning duties to your father:
But, you must know, your father lost a father;
That father lost, lost his; and the survivor bound
In filial obligation for some term
To do obsequious sorrow; but to presever
In obstinate condolement is a course
Of impious stubbornness; ’tis unmanly grief

So grieve but not too long for that would be unmanly. Application: think on change but a little and then get on with living?

But what a digression. Anyway, I'm not grieving just find myself marveling at life. And then the thoughts go from the heaviness of 'mother' to the mundane tasks of cleaning up poopy diapers:)

oi weh

Anyhoo, Christian is a joy to us. We thank the Lord for him. There are glimpses of him understanding things. He understands through repetition and routine. For instance, after he is done in the bath, I lay the towel across my chest, look down at him and reach my arms toward him. He looks up smiling and knows that the bath is done and that I will pick him up. I think I saw him reach back, though this would be a little early in development.

Can it be he trusts in me completely? He knows his mom even before I realize (again) that I am his mom.

No comments: