Thursday, August 20, 2009

gooo-geee!

Yesterday was the first time that I (Dan) heard Christian use the word "cookie," and it was also the first time that I was forced to buy him something that I didn't really want to have around the house. A coincidence? No, but it is a great story. After running some errands, Christianchen and I had to stop by Jewel to pick up some fish and beef, neither of which, interestingly, he seemed to care about in the least. I made the mistake of walking through the bakery to get to the meat counter, and there Christian spied a small box of sugar cookies with bright yellow and purple icing. When he turned into a Christian-booger, crying and wrestling in arms, I assumed that it was just standard toddler crankiness; that is, until I heard the two syllables: gooo-geeee? gooo-geeee? For a couple of minutes, apparently, Christian could think of nothing else, and the cries for cookie satisfaction got louder and louder. You can guess how the story ends: I bought the box with the yellow and purple icing, and ten minutes later, Christian was falling asleep in his car-seat with sugary goo smeared on his cheeks. Now the question is: will I ever be able to say 'no' to the demand for goo-gees again?

No comments: